Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO)/Affirmative Action Policy
It is the policy of Laverdiere Construction, Inc. to ensure that applicants are employed, and that employees are treated during employment, without regard to their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, pregnancy status, marital status, order of protection status, national origin or ancestry, citizenship status, age, physical or mental disability unrelated to ability, military status or an unfavorable discharge from military service, or any retaliation for filing any discrimination charges. Such action shall include employment, upgrading, demotion, or transfer; recruitment or recruitment advertising; layoff or termination; rates of pay or other forms of compensation; and selection for training, including apprenticeship, pre-apprenticeship, and/or on-the-job training.
EEO /Affirmative Action Plan
Procedures to follow to assure contract compliance regarding minority employee goals and disadvantaged business enterprise goals:
- Ensure and maintain a working environment free of harassment, intimidation, and coercion at all sites, and in all facilities where Laverdiere Construction, Inc.’s employees are assigned to work. Laverdiere Construction, Inc., will, where possible, assign two or more women to each construction project. Laverdiere Construction Inc. will specifically ensure that all foremen, superintendents, and other on-site supervisory personnel are aware of and carry out our obligation to maintain such a working environment, with specific attention to minority and female individuals working at such sites or in such facilities.
- Establish and maintain a current list of minority and female recruitment sources, provide written notification to minority and female recruitment sources and to community organizations when Laverdiere Construction Inc. or its unions have employment opportunities available, and maintain a record of the organizations’ responses.
- Maintain a current file of the names, addresses and telephone numbers of each minority and female off-the-street applicant and minority or female referral from a union, a recruitment source or community organization and document any actions taken with respect to each such individual. If such individual was sent to the union hiring hall for referral and was not referred back to Laverdiere Construction, Inc. by the union or, if referred, not employed by Laverdiere Construction, Inc., this shall be documented in the file with the reason therefore, along with whatever additional actions Laverdiere Construction, Inc. may have taken.
- Provide immediate written notification to the Director when the union or unions with which Laverdiere Construction, Inc. has a collective bargaining agreement has not referred a minority person or woman sent by Laverdiere Construction, Inc., or when Laverdiere Construction, Inc. has other information that the union referral process has impeded Laverdiere Construction, Inc’s. efforts to meet its obligations.
- Develop on-the-job training opportunities and/or participate in training programs for areas expressly including minorities and women, by upgrading existing programs and apprenticeship and trainee programs relevant to Laverdiere Construction, Inc.’s employment needs, especially those programs funded or approved by the Department of Labor. Laverdiere Construction, Inc. shall provide notice of such programs to the sources compiled above.
- Disseminate our EEO policy by providing notice of the policy to unions and training programs and requesting their cooperation in assisting in Laverdiere Construction Inc. meeting our EEO obligations; by including it in any policy manual and collective bargaining agreement; by publicizing it in the annual report, advertisements, etc.; by specific review of the policy with all management personnel and with all minority and female employees at least once a year; and by posting the company EEO policy on bulletin boards accessible to all employees at each location where construction work is performed.
- Review, at least annually, Laverdiere Construction Inc.’s EEO policy and affirmative action obligations under contract specifications with all employees having any responsibility for hiring, assignment, layoff, termination, or other employment decisions including specific review of these items with onsite supervisory personnel such as Superintendents, General Foremen, etc., prior to the initiation of construction work at any job site. A written record shall be made and maintained identifying the time and place of these meetings, persons attending, subject matter discussed, and disposition of the subject matter.
- Disseminate Laverdiere Construction Inc.’s EEO policy externally by including it in any advertising in the news media, specifically including minority and female news media, and providing written notification to and discussing the policy with other Contractors and Subcontractors with whom Laverdiere Construction Inc. does or anticipates doing business.
- Direct recruitment efforts, both oral and written, to minority, female, and community organizations, to schools with minority and female students and to minority and female recruitment and training organizations serving our recruitment area and employment needs. Not later than one month prior to the date for the acceptance of applications for apprenticeship of other training by any recruitment source, Laverdiere Construction Inc. shall send written notification to organizations such as the above, describing the potential openings, screening procedures, and tests (if any) to be used in the selection process.
- Encourage present minority and female employees to recruit other minority persons and women and, where reasonable or within the law, provide after school, summer and vacation employment to minority and female youth both on the site and in other areas of Laverdiere Construction Inc.’s workforce.
- Validate all tests and other selection requirements where there is an obligation to do so under 41 CFR Part 60-3.
- Conduct, at least annually, an inventory and evaluation at least of all minority and female personnel for promotional opportunities and encourage these employees to seek or to prepare for such opportunities through appropriate training, etc.
- Ensure that seniority practices, job classifications, work assignments and other personnel practices do not have a discriminatory effect by continually monitoring all personnel and employment related activities to ensure that the EEO policy and Laverdiere Construction, Inc.’s obligations under contract specifications are being carried out.
- Ensure that all facilities and company activities are non-segregated except that separate or single-user toilet and necessary changing facilities shall be provided to assure privacy between the sexes.
- Document and maintain a record of all solicitations of offers for subcontracts from minority and female construction contractors and suppliers, including circulation of solicitations to minority and female contractor associations and other business associations.
- Conduct a review, at least annually, of all supervisors' adherence to, and performance under, Laverdiere Construction Inc.’s EEO policies and affirmative action obligations.
* Revised: 1/31/2023
Laverdiere Construction is committed to utilizing DBE (Disadvantage Business Enterprise) firms, while meeting contract goals. Encouragement for DBE firms to participate with Laverdiere begins at the bidding process. During bidding, we contact DBE firms directly to provide invitations to bid, generate interest, and answer questions.
We post our requests for participation electronically on the IDOT Industry Marketplace website. This allows DBE firms to find out what projects we are bidding on and what work categories they might be interested in quoting. Laverdiere's commitment to the DBE program is confirmed by the lasting relationships that we have developed over the years with many DBE firms.
At Laverdiere Construction, we put safety first!
It is the policy of Laverdiere Construction to protect the safety and health of our employees. Our company has established a safety and health program which is based on fundamental safety concepts that will help us prevent injury and loss due to recognizing hazards.
We pride ourselves on having a very low on-the-job incident rating. Our company strives to maintain a positive and safe working environment for its employees. Weekly site-specific safety meetings are held on-site and serve to reinforce company policies.